PalAccess™: the new layer-by-layer modular palletizing platform
Constantly improving our packaging line technology, Gebo Cermex presents the company’s latest offering in layer-by-layer palletizing: PalAccess™. This new platform represents the best value for money on the market for a conventional palletizing solution. Designed for use across our key market segments (Beverages and Food, Home and Personal care), PalAccess™ optimizes performance while bringing down total cost of ownership. PalAccess™, a traditional layer-by-layer technology, could be a good starting point for End-of-Line automation.
This new platform stands out from the crowd and offers a “projection towards the future” thanks to its state-of-the-art integrated intelligence and advanced technological features from the Palletizing/Depalletizing business unit of Gebo Cermex from both the Parma and St Laurent sur Sèvre production sites.
PalAccess™ is the fruit of a synergy between our Palletizing/Depalletizing teams in St. Laurent-sur-Sèvre, France and Parma, Italy. Giorgio Rocca is Product Line Manager for Crating/Decrating and Palletizing/Depalletizing solutions at Gebo Cermex, and explains a little more about this collaboration:
“The idea was to rationalize our portfolio of layer-by-layer palletizing solutions by combining the best modules, systems and software from both factories, as well as their best practices. That meant uniting the most effective elements of the PalPack and PalKombi ranges.”
The results speak for themselves, with a TCO-oriented system which is:
- more ergonomic, with fast and simple format changeovers
- totally respectful of product integrity with a sensitive and reliable handling of small and unstable packs
- improved in terms of reduced and optimized maintenance operations
- designed to be forward compatible and capable of evolving to incorporate future upgrades
- while remaining resolutely price accessible for an end-of-line solution.
The PalAccess™ system can be used with a single or dual-lane infeed, and incorporates a range of features designed to protect the integrity of your products during pallet preparation, while simplifying the format changeover by removing manual adjustment points as well as making other adjustments automatic:
- Gebo Cermex’s patented New PackTurn technology: a brushless rotating system for gentle orientation without shocks. An elegantly simple solution and a real innovation that gets rid of all mechanical orienting devices.
- A step-by-step servo-driven infeed via our electronic spacer system for gentle row and layer preparation according to the pallet pattern (no more mechanical spacer or no bumpers)
- A modular belt for pack infeed – flat surface so no more rollers, for greater stability and ease of maintenance.
Meanwhile, the fact that the lifting unit is now driven by belts instead of chains makes for a cleaner system requiring no lubrication and much less maintenance, thus further reducing total cost of ownership. There is also an absolute encoder on the lifting unit, pushers and layer-conforming guides, thereby reducing the number of sensors and photocells as well as cabling, and removing the need for a homing procedure after power reconnection.
Laurent Ferré, Director of Research & Development at the St. Laurent site, can’t wait to introduce clients to this latest creation:
“PalAccess™ is a big step forward for our layer by layer palletizing range. The ergonomics of the HMI have been greatly improved without sacrificing security, and above all,the system offers the compatibility with existing modules that our clients are looking for.”
PalAccess™ boasts an ergonomic, tablet-style design and a more intelligent user interface, based on a touch-screen control panel. It nonetheless offers the level of security required for production operations, including the two-hands operation principle to protect against incorrect use.
The system is also compatible with Gebo Cermex’s patented software solutions: the PalDesigner® pallet management program and Advanced Diagnostic, our palletizing assistance system to shorten and ease operator troubleshooting thanks to One Point Lesson access, either fixed from the HMI or remote from a tablet computer (both available as optional extras).
And for maximum synergy and ease of operation, PalAccess™ offers guaranteed compatibility with existing external devices, such as:
- AxoSmart® and RoboSmart® robotic layer preparation (high and low level)
- Pad dispensers
- Pallet conveyor systems
- Stretch-wrappers (see inset below)
May 2016 sees the arrival of another innovation – in fact an innovation within an innovation. The new PalAccess™ palletizing unit can be combined with a pallet stretch-wrapper to create a fully-integrated, 2-in-1 end-of-line block, offering numerous advantages:
- Just 1 operator for end-of-line functions
- 1 electrical cabinet, 1 main user interface and 1 PLC
- Same look and feel for the block with the same guardings
- Same components for the palletizer and stretch wrapper: simplified maintenance and spare part management
- Keeping greater overall reliability